Notes Oct 21
- About 3000 species, widespread around world
- W&K p. 277
- Subclass Asteridae
- Herbs, shrubs, vines. In tropics, some trees
- Leaves alternate. (sometimes leaves crowded, appearing some opposite)
Mostly simple, sometimes dissected or compound.
- Flowers perfect, mostly radially symmetric.
Calyx generally 5-merous, (5 sepals), these at least partially fused.
- Corolla 5-merous.
- Stamens 5, alternating with the petals.
- Anthers sometimes open by terminal pores, rather than by slits (usual).
- Gynoecium a compound pistil made up of 2, 3 or more carpels.
- Ovary always superior. Fruit a capsule (Jimson weed0 or berry (tomato, eggplant, potato).
- Many poisonous members, due to wide assortment of alkaloids often present. Henbane, tobacco, nightshade, belladonna, etc.
- Many are useful as food sources. Tomato, potato, eggplant, tomatillo, hot peppers, bell peppers, etc.
- Many ornamental species…very showy flowers.